Saturday, 15 September 2012

Day Three: Alcatraz

So now I'm a day behind because I had some issues with my photos. Anyway, on the Wednesday we went to Alcatraz. Again we were up early so we went out for breakfast and then for a walk before catching the ferry.

Breakfast was at a little restaurant called Mama's on Washington Square. The menu looked good but there was a massive queue. We weren't sure at first but we figured that anywhere that had a queue for breakfast on a Wednesday morning must be pretty good. And it was amazing!
After breakfast we walked up one of the many hills up to Coit Tower. There was some amazing views over the city.

This is the view over to Lombard Street, the crookedest street in the world.

Then we walked over to the ferry to Alcatraz.

This is were the prisoners came when they first arrived.

We did the audio tour.
Once the prisoners had been in a while and proved they could behave, they were allowed hobby equipment.

While we were there an enormous cruise ship came in.

Once we got back to the mainland it was only just past lunchtime. There are loads of little fishy restaurants near Pier 39 and sourdough is a big thing in San Francisco. We had chowder in a bun for lunch. It was delicious!

After lunch we had a mooch round Pier 39. It is tat heaven and I loved it! There was a fairground, themed restaurants and bars, a shop of things just for left handed people and a Christmas shop! There was also a tea shop and the man running it seemed quite pleased to have real English people in. He also sold flavoured sugars and salts. Phill tried one with ghost chillis which nearly killed him!
We tried out Bubba Gump's shoes.
All year Christmas!!!
With a Halloween tree!
Then we got the cable car back to the hotel. We were knackered by this point and I fell asleep! It was absolutely rammed and a bit scary going up and down the steep hills. Our conductor sounds just like Reginald D Hunter.
When we got back to the hotel it was about 9pm and San Francisco is not a city for late dining during the week. Luckily a nearby Chinese restaurant was still open so we went there. Phill was a bit disappointed with it but the next morning we had our leftovers for breakfast and he realised that his tongue had been wrecked by the chilli salt. Turns out it was one of the best Chinese restaurants in the city!

Tomorrow (or later today!): wool shops and the Golden Gate Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment